This is a warning for anyone who suffers from Arachnophobia like my pinky D. If you have a fear of big black hairy spiders, do not, I stress, do not proceed.
Ok, now that I have made myself clear I want to tell you a very very scary story. It also happens to be true. Are you sitting down?? I'll begin then shall I.
On Christmas Eve D was making her famous flourless chocolate cake which she makes every Christmas for her family. D's mum was visiting at the time and was sitting on a chair watching telly (this is the scary part) Out of the corner of D's eye she sees something moving.............................
It was the biggest, scariest, blackest FUNNEL WEB SPIDER in the history of Australia and it was walking across the living room towards my nonna. Now D is very arachnophobic and goes into instant panic. She acts quickly and throws a rug over it and then panics some more. What if it gets really really cranky and tries to attack.
Let me explain something about funnel webs just incase you weren't aware..... They're just one of the deadliest spiders on the planet.....ahhhhhhhhhh
D tells her mum to move it and quick!! D's mum doesn't move quick enough. You see she needs a walker to help her walk. D says, 'forget the walker, quick, move over to the otherside of the room'. My Nonna doesn't argue. D suggests she hides in the bathroom.
While all this was happening we were out on a walk with B. D's state of health was getting worse by the minute. She was beginning to feel very sick. Then she heard the gingling of our collars....."B, there's a huge funnel web in there...whaaa whaaa whaaa". She then runs and hides in the bathroom.
B took a glass and piece of cardboard, traps the funnel web and takes it across the street to Walter's house who is holidaying in England.
Now D is constantly on the lookout for more funnel webs. We've found 4 inside our house in 8 years so even though they are common, they tend to stay in the garden. Bites are dangerous and can cause serious illness or death. The venom appears to particularly affect primates (ie humans), whereas other mammals - such as cats and dogs - are relatively resistant. 
I Noah had to stand on the glass to stop the spider from getting out........ok that part isn't true.
Now if you ever come to Australia for a holiday and you happen to be bitten by one of these deadly beasts, fear not as every hospital has antivenom plus they're only found around Sydney and the east coast including the Blue Mts.
Ok, you can go change your pants now.
tailwags
Noah x

46 comments:
Ekks, that's so scary... Good thing you're there to help Noah
~ Bae
OMG Noah - you are so brave! I don't think my pinky would have been any good. She'd have run off and left anyone else in the room! Hope your Nonna is recovered or is she still in the bathroom?!!!
Did B put it through the letter box at Walters?
Alf n Mindy x
Eww..ww.. that sound scary. I am glad that your and your B came back in time to rescue your D. You guys are her Heros!
Peesss: I am not wearing pants today so I dun need to change them. :P
Luv
Snowball
Thank you Noah...now I know we will NEVER come to visit you. NEVER NEVER NEVER !!!!
Kisses, Faya
Thank you Noah...now I know we will NEVER come to visit you. NEVER NEVER NEVER !!!!
Kisses, Faya
oh my...................
My Jeannie is kinda put off my this horror story, she is totally and utterly scared of spiders even the titchy ones we get here. As for deadly poisonous ones, oh my dog, she is freakiing out totally now.
I think she may cancel her proporsed trip by the way she is carrying on........I will go and find a paper bag because I think she is Spider Ventilating.......
deep breaths, Jeannie, deep breaths........
Omg...that is some scary stuff...
I warned Mom not to look, but she did...now she wants to move someplace with a lot less scary poisonous things...lol
OMG, spiders don't usually scare our mom too much! She's more of a sissy about mousies, but this is a serious spider! Thank goodness your mom has you guys to protect her from this hairey beast! We like to EAT spiders!
Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch
Hi Noah, We should have listened to your warning!! Mum has just freaked out!! She had a few encounters with funnel webs as a girl and blames those encounters for her extreme phobia of spiders! Your dad was very brave!
Lix
J&D
Eew, eew, eew!!! Yikes. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been so brave.
Love,
Dog Mom
Oh my doG! Our mom has a SERIOUS case of arachnaphobia! Once, when she worked in a paint store, in Arizona, she saw a wolf spider on the floor. She couldn't find any bug spray, so she sprayed him with clear spray paint and threw a carpet sample on top of him. Then she danced on the carpet sample. He was dead, but WHAT A MESS! Wolf spiders are HUGE and HAIRY! Now, we have a can of bug spray in just about every room!
Happy New Year!
Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches
Happy New Year to you all!
And rest assured we are over our Spider fears now, if you check out my blog - I have been de-sensitising my Jeannie to spiders, so she can brave her Aussie trip!
But thank you for warning us about those horrible beasts........
I will make sure she wears her Spider Alert Glasses!
lots of love and licks to you all
Marvin xxxxxxxxx
That spider was a MEANY - Glad you got him out of the way before he caused any major damage!!!!
I've suggested Marvin ask for some of Meeshka's bubblewrap fur his mum!
Isn't it silly how some hooomans akht around other khritters?
Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
Eeek!
We awe scawedof spidews..luckily in 28 yeaws of living in this apt. we've nevew seen one..maybe it's a good thing we can't affowd to twavel heheh..tell youw Mom thatwhen she comes heweshe will be spidew fwee
smoochie kisses
ASTA
That was a super scary post! My mom is very scared. She usually sprays any bug in the house with windex! That is, after I have found them and have played with them for a while!
--JB
What a great post! Good thing those spiders aren't here in the States!
My Mommy is terrified of spiders & she didn't want to look at this post. She skipped over the picture! I don't like spiders because they scare my Mommy!
Hugs & Snugs
Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle
Wow that is a super scary story. We are sure glad that D saw it before anything could happen. Noah you need to be on the look out for those nasty beasts so they don't get D or B..
Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie
Yikes! I'm shaking in my shoes! That spider was way too scary to look at. I'm so glad that everything turned out okay and that nobody got hurt.
that is very scary, my mom does not like spiders for she has been bitten by one and her arm swelled up like Poppeye. Glad you are safe.
w00f's noah and sisters, wow thats a mean lookin spider..glad u and ur daddy wuz there to protect the girls...
b safe,
~rocky~
Crikey!!!!! Brave D, hope Nonna is out of the bathroom and the Chocolate cake got made eventually. If I see Walter over here on his holiday I promise not to tell him what is waiting to greet him on his return. Oh and Noel....had a bit of an accident...I wasn't wearing any pants ....tee,heee!!!
Wagging you all had such a great Christmas with visits from Ellie and Baz!! Happy Happy New Year to you and your leggededs! Love reading what's going on down and being a squarie pal.Thanks a squillion!!! Wiry wags, Eric xxxx
I tell ya Noah....that was a scary story fer sure...didn't D kill the thing? Squash it so it can't go terrorize someone else ???? Gram is afraid of spiders but if she sees one it ain't gonna walk away ta scare anyone else...it's history fer sure....why she has a spot on her ankle that looks like a drunken sailor tried ta plant a tattoo on 'er and it's from a spider bite...probably won't ever go away....but yer brave if ya stepped on the jar so the miscreant couldn't escape....yep....yer a brave one fer sure.....we think we'll not ever want ta visit Sidney if they've taken up residence there....not that we've ever left the states anyway.....
Dewey Dewster here.....
YIKES ! Spidie ! Ewww ~
Hi, Noah!
That was a scary episode! Glad she saw it near your Nonna!
Good job getting rid of it!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza
Ewww.....that is gross! Our middle skin sister loves all kinds of spiders and like to pick them up. It's a good think we don't have those kind of spiders here!
Phew... shaking in my boots just reading your post :) Our Ma knows about that spider. She always checked every motel room to see if there was one hiding under the bed :) We only have one spider here that bites and it's only mildly poisenours. Be on your guard, Noah!
Hey, Noah & SissyDales!
EWwwWWw!
My girl usually has no problem with spiders... unless you tell her they're a deadly type!
EXtra juicy goob smooches to your mama for being brave & courageous and for saving your Nonna.
By the way, did the cake get made? We sure hope so.
Goober love & smooches,
Stanley
Pee Ess
Is B still rockin' the dark socks with shorts? Just wondering?
OMdoG... our mom doesn't really have a problem with spideys (unless they are the deadly type you mentioned).. Lucky thing we don't get 'em out here.. or do we?? Mom!!?
Oka-a-a-y, that was a truly terrifying story. You are so brave, Noah! But, wait a minute...weren't you out on a walk? Hmmm... maybe you had to be brave when B was catching it under the glass.
But why did he take it across the street? That is VERY MYSTERIOUS!
I'm a bit nervous of huntsmen,
rather scared of redbacks,
fairly afraid of whitetails,
and terrified of funnelwebs!
We like to think we don't have them in Melbourne, but I reckon I saw one up at Warburton, which is all too close to Melbourne!
Wpah! That was frightening to read. Luckily I didn't poop in mah pants. How's Nonna?
Have a wonderful Happy New Year!
Butt wiggles,
Solid Gold Dancer
omdog!! I think my Dad just fainted!! LOL
Noah you are one brave dale. Just to hear the word Spiders can be TERRIFYING!!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
XXX & HUGS
Falcon
Yikes!!! Scary!!! How's your hoomans doing now?
We are so gald that your nonna and D are fine. That was one creepy spider.
Aaaaaaaaaaa! Aaaaaaaaa! Aaaaaaaaa! ....
Okay, that was my human. She hates those nasty things - well, hate may be too mild a word... Anyway, we live on a very bushy lot in Hornsby for about ten years - a North-facing hillside with lots of bushy stuff, full of bluetongues and other lizards, who are all welcome, and we have yet to see a funnel web or a snake. however, we have seen quite a few eight-legged demons that always send my human into hysterics. I just watch her with confused interest.
FYI: funnel webs' fangs can penetrate leather boots and many times they grab their prey with their legs so that they can make several penetrations with their fangs.
On a nicer note, Happy Happy New Year - wishing you a happy, healthy and prosperous 2009!
licks & puppy love,
Charlie
Happy New Year to you all.
You guys have some animals in your part of the country that we have never seen either.. Even some really dangerous ones like that spider...
Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie
Hi, Noah...
OMdoG...My Mom is scared...She is really afraid of spiders, too...
I hope you don't find any more of them...
Happy New Year...I hope 2009 is good to you & your family...
Abby xxxooo
HOLY ^*$(*^%$%(*&^$ thE 3 OF US ARE still IN PANIC MODE AFTER READING THIS..as as you can guess Archie fainted, I did have a bit of an accidebt and PL2 is shaking......WHEW>>>>>>>>>WE have no other words than that....Love A+A
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's SCARY!!!!
Here's to hoping that 2009 is a spider-free year!!!!
HAPPY NEW YAIRE LEURADALES!!!
Love,
Bogart
C-R-E-E-E-E-E-E-P-Y!! My Mama would have had a heart attack!
You should have seen her once try to get a big fat June Bug out of our house. Can she scream... must have been something like the scene in your house, Noah! Geez, I'm sure glad your Mama was able to save your Nonna from being bitten. And I'm glad she was able to get away without her walker. She was lucky.
Hope you all have a happy and healthy, spider-free 2009!
xox
Chef
Hmmmm.....
We have one question...what the heck did Walter do to you guys that made ya decide to dump Mr. Spider in his house while he's on vacation? If we get to Down Under, we will DEFINITELY come to see ya...but we think we're gonna skip Walter's house...
Lacie is home...her lips are so swollen that we elevated them on two pillows and duct taped ice to them. Seems like she was participatin' in a lotta kissin' last night...she can't talk...it's been the best day ever!!!!!
Happiest of New Years...to you and Walter!!!!!
Scruffy and Stan
Lacie sez,
Noah...jdjahrifkfhauddnkryuddcrjfidyrjfkdtrhrkgguhjerirshshftuyrhfjfggjfhf7ehdhfkfjncueudjhfkpssiutjgkddjdknfoeknfngiejfkehfldedkeriruhnkasckur.
kdjah&ldkhdh,
ldkdjahdgirl XXOOXXOO
Happy New Year!
Ooops, something is wet here! Better run!
AAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!
*shivers*
very scared hugs
Jamie
Post a Comment