Friday, June 19, 2009

Anne's Dog Bites & important information

G'day maties,
A few weeks ago our dad B ordered this very cool cook book for dogs called Anne's Dog Bites. We haven't tried any of the recipes yet but we're gonna!!! The author Anne Johnson had dedicated this book to her two much loved dogs, Sunny a three year old Lakeland Terrier and Skipton and Airedale who died in January 2002. He was the inspiration for many of the recipes in this book. We're really looking forward to trying some of these recipes. All the recipes are named after dogs who helped with the taste testing hehe....very cool!!

Look at this picture of Sunny.....how sweet!!!! This is the back cover of the book.


Last night while we were watching A Current Affair they showed one very interesting story about arthritis in dogs.

An Australian vet is working on stem cell therapy which involves harvesting fat cells using lipo suction. From this they grow stem cells which are then injected back into the joint of the dog. The results have been virtually instant. First of all the dog must have a CT scan to see if it is suitable for this treatment. Human trials will begin in a couple of months. This is great news for dogs suffering arthritis. We couldn't believe how successful this treatment is. They showed a few examples on telly. The dogs looked great.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

tailwags

Noah xx

40 comments:

Marvin said...

Happy Weekend to all of youse Noah!

The book loooooooks very tasty indeed!

Interesting news on the stem cell therapy too. I am lucky at the moment, even though I am ten, I have no arthritis, but I know many dogs around here who do!

My Jeannie got some of her digital pics from Aus printed out today using a Kodak machine in the chemists. They are very good, she needs to get some more done though, once she has, she will send you some for Lucy to lick!

The ones of your Mama with her coat covering her hair are very funny! So is the wonderful back drop behind them too! What a view! ;0D

lotsaluv, Marv xxxxxxxx

Ruby said...

Hi Noah, The cookbook looks really interesting, I'm going to look that one up.

For sure we will finally meet you at the fun day. It's only a small group so you will end up meeting everyone.

See you soon!
Ruby

Thor and Jack said...

Thanks for sharing that great news, Noah.
That book looks very interesting. Yumm, lots of yummy recipes! Hope you all enjoy the results.
Have a great weekend, Buddies!

xoxo,
Thor

Duke said...

What great news for all of the doggies with arthritis!
We can't wait till your mom or dad bakes you guys something delicious from this book!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Agatha and Archie said...

We can't wait either for a taste demonstration by you guys!! We are very interested in this Arthritis thing as well as Arch even though he is still young has a touch of that from his knee problmes...Love and kisses A+A

Hollie and Janie said...

That's very exciting news about the arthritis treatment!! I hope D and B cook you something yummy very soon!!!I'm still at my grandmama's, and she gave me little roast beef for dindin!
Love,
Janie

Persephone and Buster said...

gee noah...yummies and arthritis too?? the humomm sez they can spearamint on her joints...we're all ok at the moment but that does sound promising. the cooking book for us dogz looks more promising for me though!!! as for the spots...the girls were bored -- it's been raining here --a lot -- the humomm is buildng an ark in the back and mumbling something about 2 x 2....hmmmmshe's collecting stuff..... should i be worried about her?
theBUSTER, Ms.Persephone & Ms. Blue too..

William Tell said...

What a great idea for a book. Let us know how the recipes turn out.

Very interesting tidbit about that arthritis research. I think it sounds very promising, and Mom is willing to donate some lipo if it would help her arthritis in her knees. Hope it catches on over here.

Happy Tails,
William Tell

Eric said...

How amazing, what a breakthrough. Paws crossed the trials are successful and for leggeds too.

Hope you get some of those dogalicious treats this weeekend!

Wiry loves and kissies, Eric xxxx

Asta said...

Noan Tess, Willow and Lucy,

You awe the luckiest. That cookbook looks fab!
What a sweet pictoowe of theiw lovely Sunny, and how nice that they had weal doggies doing the testing.
I hope you get to twy evewy one of the wecipes!

That news about the awthuw itis bweakthwoo is wondewful!
I hope they do the twial soon and successfully so all my fwiends in pain can be helped
smoochie kisses
ASTA
pee ess Mommi could use it too, hehehe..in this hoomidity, she's vewy cweacky

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

What a great and tasty treat book!

I khan't wait to hear about all the things woo get to try!

WONDERFUL and PROMISING news on the stem cells!

So many good things khan be done!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Mango the Maltese kiddo said...

That's good news to us doggy. I wish I have a lot of money so I can help with a lot of research!
Right now I just support, sponsor here and there with my mini bank!
Please try some recipes soon and let us sniff the food!
Love ya lot!

Unknown said...

First of all, what a great cookbook. How fun to have the recipes named after the dogs. I can't wait to see you guys try some recipes.

And that is fascinating research and what a plus- an alternative to joint replacement.

Is it winter there yet?
Norwood

Abby said...

Hi, Noah...

That looks like a great book...I bet you can find alot of yummy stuff in there...

Abby xxxooo

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Many thanks to you. Thanks for visiting our blog today and leaving that sweet comment. Thanks for the great tip on that book. And thanks for the medical news - wonderful things coming along.

Happy weekend, the OP Pack

Charlie said...

What great news!
- C

tula monstah said...

Hi Noah!

A stuffed airedale is stuffed layed out on the back cover-- those have got to be some gooooood recipes! let us know how they turn out..

Interesting how many human illnesses & treatments work for doggies too. My mommie's previous doggies, Libby & Hazelnut had arthritis in the knees & back. Mobility issues are not easy.. would have luved to try some treatments like this.

thanks-
Good weekend to ya!
tula

Juno said...

Thanks for sharing the great news! What humans and dogs can have a same treatment is great!!!!

We'll ask our pawrents to find this book! :) Wooscotti looks so yummy!!!

Momo & Pinot

Lucia said...

Ciao miei amici!

First wooscotti and now this book of doggie-tested treats!! I think I may have to call the airlines and find out about a flight to Oz because it sure sounds like you four are living in a land of deliciousness! Mmmmmmm ...

That is eccellente news about the arthritis research. It could help so many of our beloved furkid AND hooman pals!!

Tanti baci!
Lucia

Lorenza said...

Hi, Noah!
I see yummy homemade treats in your future!
That treatment for arthritis sure is very interesting! Glad they found something to help those who suffer it!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Wow that is great. Stem cell therapy for dogs. That is awesome..
That book looks really good. You better get mom busy cooking...

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Persephone and Buster said...

Looks like many good entrees in this book!

Yup, we were curious about the differential use of the term in the U.S., too. Commonly, here in the Colonies, restaurants will list the main courses on the menu as "Entrees." This always seemed disappointing, since the very term implied that "something else" could be expected. But what? Perhaps a plate of dead opossum to cleanse the palate?

Enquiring minds commenced an investigation, and it turned out that at some point in the murky mists of time, the "main course" in American meals actually disappeared ("the horror, the horror!"), enabling the anemic "entree" to move up to the first string. There's a wiki reference at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entr%C3%A9e

We Irish Peasant Dogs object to this deceptive practice! There should be an Entree, and a Second Course, and a Third Course, and lots of pints of bitters in between!

Cheers,

Buster, Sephie & Bailey

Southbaygirl said...

Wow-that would be awesome if it could help other doggies!!!

Mom and i hope you guys are having a wonderful weekend! We're sorry we haven't been visiting much-mom's stoopid job takes away from my blogging time!!!

Woof

Velcro

Mack said...

YES, that is great news about the afritis study! Sissy Lil has the fritis when it's cold!

TwoSpecialWires said...

You are chockfull of good info, Noah! Great recipes AND promise for some breakthrough treatment for doggies (and hopefully two leggededs) in pain from arthritis! We're crossing our paws that the studies go well and the treatment will work for some of our friends who could maybe use it.

We hope you get to enjoy lots of those treats. We're sure they're gonna be yummy!

Jake and Fergi

Faya said...

Waouw, great book ! I hope you will put some receipts on your blog !
Kisses, Faya

Dughallmor Beagles said...

Hey Noah & Girlies! We just happen to be in the library (and your Cbox is restricted, you bin cussin?)
We just wanted to thank you for your kind comments, you guys are sweet.
Love & slobbers,
Rosie, Mum & gang xx

Princess Patches said...

The new cookbook sounds very tasty! We can't wait to see how somedoggies do on the stem cell therapy. Penny and I, Poppy, both have arfritis!

Aire-hugs,
Poppy, Penny & Patches

Astrid Keel said...

Woo! I hope your parents make you some delicious dishes from your new book... and if they don't, do like I do: eat the book! yummy paper! ;)

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

That looks like a great book. I wonder if there is one for cats too?
Interesting news about the research on arthritis in dogs.
Hope you guys had a good weekend!
--JB

Tee said...

Any medical break through is great news!

Licks and wags

Tuffy and the Dog Woods Pack

Dewey Dewster said...

Hey guys...nice cook book...hope ya get ta taste some of the recipes....there's nothin' like goodies fer doggies...

Tell yer Pinkies ta look fer a book called The Nature of Animal Healing : The Definitive Holistic Medicine Guide to Caring for Your Dog and Cat (Paperback)
by Martin Goldstein D.V.M. (Author) ...Gram has been readin' it and is amazed by what she reads...there are natural remedies fer arthritis 'n other maladies...if ya believe in alternative forms of medicine this book is fer ya....she also has
Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats (Paperback)
by Richard H. Pitcairn D.V.M. (Author), Susan Hubble Pitcairn
Susan Hubble Pitcairn (Author)
but hasn't read it yet......amazin' stuff....

Dewey Dewster here....

Moco said...

I wonder if the crazy old bat would use that cook book to make us some good food.

i said...

Cook books are the best! Looks like you're going to get lots of yummy food coming up!

Nelly said...

Not fair! We have to eat everything raw! That cookbook looks great!

Hope the stem cell therapy is a success with humans too. We don't like anybody being poorly :)

Nibbles
Nelly xx

Colin Harries said...

Hi Noah: Is it significant that your mum makes treats like this now that I'm "on the road" and don't get to be a test guinea-pig(er guinea-dog). I'll be home for Christmas so how about saving me some! I miss you and the girls, even though life is very interesting for me and I get to spend all the day with my mum and dad..oh well...back to more interesting travel and play with my new cousin, Calista, and walks around new parks in Brisbane...love from Colin Harriesxx

Petra said...

That is so cool to hear about the surgery to help cure arthritis!

And I can't wait to see some pictures of what you found to make in that cookbook....yum!

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oh my sweetest Noah...we've been soooo behind on our blogging with Bruvver's stooopid wedding...well, actually it was a very nice wedding, but it definitely has cramped our puter time...and now Mumsie has to fly to North Carolina in a couple of weeks and get our Big Sissy, Cat Woman of her butt to start planning her wedding...sigh...

Then we looked at the title of your post and started to gather up our terrier zen for poor Annie who had obviously been horribly bitten by some evil dog only to find she likes to cook and write her recipes down...the fact she had a Lakie and a Dale endeared her to us greatly....Whew...Lacie pauses for breath...

We have some vets here usin' the stem cells on the Arthur Ritis Dogs...and it does work...they should think bout using it on hoomans too...it's supposed to be amazing....get ur fat sucked off and cure your arthur ritis too...that's a great 2 for 1 deal, huh!!

Now, Noah...I think your mom may have heard us giggling upstairs when I was um well visiting you...Member..when we were playing the Tickle Me Elmo game??? She mentioned something to Mumsie and I like got grilled about my whereabouts last week...I told her that you mom needed help in your new orchard and I had to come and work on the new lemon/lime/orange etc trees...I don't think she believed me...I've ordered several hundreds more of those trees for you dear boy...THINK OF THE SMOOTHIES I CAN MAKE!!!

Oh...they even had a tree that they grafted frozen hoki fish onto...only 2 months till it bears frozen fishies....

Love ya lots dear boy and kisses to your sissies...

Love you forever,

Your Laciegirlie

parlance said...

Interest post on all levels. I'll look around for the book.
My sister has arthritis, so she's looking forward t news about the human trials.

And they should have the bugs worked out before Penny needs this kind of treatment, hopefully.

parlance said...

Interest post on all levels. I'll look around for the book.
My sister has arthritis, so she's looking forward t news about the human trials.

And they should have the bugs worked out before Penny needs this kind of treatment, hopefully.

Guest Book

Followers