Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A food safari - the Middle East

Hi everyone its me D (the pinky),
Last Saturday I had the rare opportunity to get away from my usual weekend B&B duties. Some of you may remember this time last year Bryan and I did a Vietnamese food safari in Sydney, well last Saturday I did another with my sister & her hubby. This one took us to the world of the Middle East. The food was delish!!!! I really love middle eastern food. The day was filled with sampling lots of different foods and then a lovely lunch at a Lebanese Restaurant followed by yummy sweets and coffee. Our last stop was to an ice-cream parlor. Lebanese ice-cream is made a little differently than traditional ice-cream or gelato. They use part of an Orchid flower to make the consistency gooey. I was a bit of a borer and had chocolate & lemon as opposed to the pistachio or almond but it was yummers as Mango would say.
We didnt take many photos but here are just a couple of our day.
Here they are making Lebanese bread. I bought packets of the stuff because in the Blue Mts we can only get it at the supermarket and its never fresh there. I also bought some Zatar mix which is a dried herb mixture. You can mix it with olive oil, spread it on the bread and bake it until crispy YUM.
Here we are tucking into baklava. That is the Greek name, not sure what they call it in the Middle East. I call it delish!!! They are layers of filo pastry mixed with crushed nuts and baked. Then they drizzle lots of syrup over it mmmmmm.
I'm looking forward to the next one. I think I'll do the Portuguese safari !!
Denise x

34 comments:

Astrid Keel said...

WOW! I am drooling looking at the photos... looks like you had a ton of fun!

Lizzy said...

OMDog... I'm drooling buckets all over the keyboard!! That sounds SO good. I didn't know there was such a thing as food safaris! My human is wanting to try one now. She'd better let me do it too!

Sparky

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Please add my mom to the droolers reading the post!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Inky and Molly said...

We hope there was a big doggie bag for the Leuradales at the end of it...

Agatha and Archie said...

Yep add us to the drooling ist please...YUMMY....Love A+A

Deborah said...

I love Baklava! The food sounds wonderful!

Chef said...

Drooling here too. I love Lebanese and all Middle East food. Baklava is called Baklava the world over, as far as I know. And yes, it is very delicious. My sister-in-law cooks middle east dinners on a regular basis. Yums the word.

Linda

Lorenza said...

Glad you had a great time!
My mom loves baklava! Sweet and delicious!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Asta said...

Denise
What a brilliant idea
I was drooling all over the computer just thinking about it and looking at the breads coming down the line!
Asta sends smoochie kisses to noah and the Giwls
love
Ami

Mack said...

What delicious food! Did they sneak you some home Noah?

Deefor said...

I hope you got some big doggie bags! I'm not much of a drooler but I'm licking!

Hollie and Janie said...

that looks so delicious,Miss Denise! I'm glad you got to have a fun day out!!!
Love,
Janie

TwoSpecialWires said...

Slurp! Mmmmmm. Slurp! Slurp!

That makes ALL of us drool, just thinking about the wonderful flavors. We love the idea of food safari... will be giving that a try, for sure! What a fun way to visit a city!

Love ya,
Jake and Fergi xxoo (suddenly hungry again)

Duke said...

Mom has had baklava before and she says it's to-die-for delicious! Your pinky looks pretty happy in that photo, Noah!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Quick, get the microfiber cloths, Mom has dribbled all over the screen - she LOVES baklava. What a fun thing to do - thanks for sharing your trip.

Tail wags, the OP Pack

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

That looks like great fun! My mom loves doing stuff like this.
--JB

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Now we are hungry.. What great fun...


Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Scottie the 'Cutie' said...

Wow, the food safari sounds yummy and fun! Mom wishes that we could have those events here in Malaysia too...*grins*

Scottie

Scruffy, Lacie and Stanley's Place said...

Oh Auntie D....

I'm coming right over...you did save me a hooooooge Lacie doggie baggie, didn't you?????

Oh, we wish we could have had you take a magic carpet and been in Boston with us! You and the dogmoms woulda had a blast...and can you imagine how HOT Noah would look flattened??? (You hafta read our bloggies bout the flat creatures...much easier to pack!!!)

Now please tell Noah for me that when I referred to Archie as um Smokin' Hot, I merely was sayin' he was waaaaaaaaaay too close to the stove with those boiling lobster stuffies...

And guess what! (Lacie loves to gossip...) He asked Asta to a movie....yep...course he's probably still passed out, but he did it...

All those foodables sound scrumptious; we're glad you got to go and EAT!!

BTW, do you serve frozen Hoki's to your guests???????? NOM NOM NOM!!!!

As the Mango would say...he really is totally and relentlessly HOOGE!

Kisses, Auntie D.!!!!

Your niece,

Lacie

Karen Raye and Bentley Beargrass said...

I have only one word to say- YUM!

i said...

Wow, what a feast! LS said she loves the baklava too. All those nuts!

Deetz said...

My mum had to look away from the screen, she is on a diet and that looks way too delicious
Deetzy

Golden Daily Scoop said...

Yummmmmyyyyyyy!!!!! Why can't they invent smell-a-puter!!!! That looks soooo good!!! Love your blog!!!

lotsa licks,
Miley

Sherry said...

I'm thinking about the fact that it's spring where you are. Sigh.

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

Our Mommy likes to eat what is known as "the Middle East Feast" from Trader Joes. We hear her say baklava is yummy too. Don't know for sure since she never shares.

:>(

Smooches, BabyRD & Hootie

Unknown said...

Hi Dales
Yummers is right. I hope D is passing that tray over here.
norwood

Life With Dogs said...

That sounds superb - and the dogs want to guard that conveyor belt!

TwoSpecialWires said...

We stopped in to visit ... were reminded of the scrumptious looking foodilbes ... and decided it was time for a snack!

It was fun reading your comment about the sandstone rocks ... and that you have them, too! Aren't the sculptures that develop out of them amazing! We've developed all sort of stories about them, and have named several!

We'd love to see some of yours someday!
Love,
Jake and Fergi xxoo

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

The dude we got Marley from thinks she is 6 months old. She only weighs 30+ lbs which is quite small for a dogo so mom stopped on her way home and got her some good food. She has kennel cough so we aren't allowed near her until that has passed.. Sis says she is so happy to see her when she gets home. We are guessing she has spent her entire life in a crate..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Eric said...

Food safari? Mmmm great idea looks scrumptious!

Wiry loves and kisses Eric xx

Allison Walton said...

Wow--those sure are some yummy treats. We home yur mommee saved some fur woo!

wuv,
Gus and Waldo

bbes tribe said...

Looks like a lot of fun. Portugese safari for next time sounds exciting too. Thanks for visiting us. Luke looked just like me Ernie only a bit smaller. We were sorry we didn't get him but maybe he is where he is meant to be with the other family.
Wags
Ernie & Sasha

Asta said...

Noah

I wish you and Willow,Tess and Lucy
could have been hewe to join us fow that beef bowgi thingy, it would fit in wif youw Mom's food safawis, hehehe
Thank you fow the good wishes fow Daddi
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Thor and Jack said...

That food look delicious!! I am at the drooler list too!!
I´m glad you had fun Denise!

xoxo
Thor

Guest Book

Followers