Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Food Glorious Food # 3


I made Moroccan lamb shanks the other night and it was a hit with Bryan and with me. I tried my hardest to put the recipe on facebook but alas the technology to do so was beyond me so I'm putting it here because I think it's worth making and I know there are a few cooks out there.

You need:

2 large lamb shanks
2 potatoes chopped into chunks
2 carrots chopped into chunks
2 small onions chopped
3 cloves garlic crushed
400g tinned tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 cup orange juice
2 cups chicken stock
4 fresh dates
2 tablespoons Tagine Spice Mix

Pre heat oven to 160 degrees C.
Coat the lamb shanks in some of the spice mix and brown in olive oil in a casserole dish. Add remaining spice mix.
In a separate pan, saute onions and garlic till soft. Add to the casserole dish with shanks. Add vegetables, tomato paste (cook this out a little). Then add OJ, stock, tinned tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to boil, then simmer and place casserole dish in the oven for about 2.5 - 3 hours. I left mine in there for the full 3 hours. After 2 hours you can add the dates as they dont require the full length of cooking. They turn to mushy. Have the oven on low, 160 degrees C.
I didnt serve this with anything as the veg are part of the dish.
I found the Tagine Spice Mix from a great little spice shop in Sydney called Herbies. They have an online shop and they have an amazing range of spices. The tagine spice mix is actually a blend of Paprika, coriander seed, cassia, allspice, chilli, cloves and cardamon. Noice!!!


D x

22 comments:

Charlie Daniels said...

That looks much better than the chops and veg TBU cooked tonight!

Life With Dogs said...

Wow! I showed up making my Wordless Wednesday rounds and am leaving with a new craving. Looks delish...

Hollie and Janie said...

D,
That looks soooooo yummy!! I bet the 'dales were begging for a bite!
Love,
janie

Astrid Keel said...

yummy! I wish I were there to smell and drool at all the wonderful aromas... (and maybe counter-surf and get a bite too! Don't tell my momster!)

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Mom says that looks furry yummy and that she should make it fur herself soon!

Tank woo fur sharing!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Jeannie!alia Cassandra Vale;0D said...

oh how funny D! I made a moroccan dish - tagine - last evening which was well scraped up from the plates here (youngest son was home!)

lamb, apricots, tomatoes, chick peas, lots of spices. it was very tasty.

I will take note of this recipe of yours too.

Thank you for sharing.............

Jeannie xxxxx

Duke said...

Boy oh boy - that sure looks yummy - much better than the boring fish and mashed potatoes that mom and dad had for dindin!
Thank you for the recipe!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

JD and Max said...

Oh yum! Yum - YUM!!! Gosh - we want some! Tail wags - JD and Max.

Abby said...

Hi, D...

Oh...That looks yummy...

Abby xxxooo

Kasha said...

Hey thanks for the recipe! That looks fabulous!
Kasha and Africa

Lacy said...

w00fs, that looks yummy...me sorry ur friends lefted..its sad to c close friends go..

b safe,
~rocky~

Lorenza said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Sure it looks delicious!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Joe Stains said...

Looks DELICIOUS!!! Mom has never made lamb shanks but this does not seem too hard!

Hamish Westie said...

That looks like a fantabulous recipe. I shall get my human too cook it right away. Anything with lamb shanks has to be good news for dogs, such tasty bones!
Thank you so much!
Cheers, Hamish

Suzuki said...

Hey guys!
Have you checked out this new Aussie site?
http://www.dogtree.com.au
It's like facebook fur dogs!
Big licks to you
Suzuki
xxx

Tee said...

Oh yums! That looks absolutely DIVINE!

Much drools,

Tuffy and the Dog WOods Pack

Nelly said...

Ooops, Mummy is drooling! Hehe.

William Tell said...

Uh oh, I'm drooling now. Looks super delicious!

Happy Tails,
William Tell

Unknown said...

Thanks for the feel better well wishes! You are quite the cooks over there. Now... I think your Monday night dinner plans are a non issue after seeing this recipe. Yummers. But no shots of you eating it????

Norwood

Mack said...

Oh my dogness!

You are definitely a gourmet chef!

That looks so good!

Thor and Jack said...

That looks so yummy!
Thanks for sharing.

(You are going to make that recipe for us, mommy??)

xoxo,
Thor

Anonymous said...

Mom is drooling all over the keyboard!
Hugs,
Sitka

Guest Book

Followers